Andy8421;512437 Wrote:
> Should network traffic, PC server response or Wifi latency cause the
> input data stream to falter, the squeezebox can dip into its buffer for
> data.  One way of looking at network streamers is as a large tank with a
> hole in the bottom.  The data (water) empties out of the tank at a
> steady rate, controlled by the local clock.  Every now and then the
> network dumps another bucket of water in the tank to keep the tank
> topped up.

Hi Andy,

I've an EE degree, I sure know about buffers and TCP/IP protocol to
ensure data correctness.

However, just as the engineers invented SPDIF didn't think people can
hear the effect of jitter some 30 years ago, I'm suggesting that latency
will cause more jitter to be produced on the PLL.  It is a theory from
my friend, who is a high-end audiophile and senior engineer by trade.
To quote him:

The latency causes the uneven filling of the buffer may lead to PLL
perturbations, ending up in jitter at the output of the PLL.  Imagine
you have a tub with a drain hole at the bottom.  Your job is to keep the
flow rate constant.  So you use a valve and adjust the valve to regulate
the flow.  At the same time if you add water to the tub by throwing cups
of water into it, the flow rate through the valve will be affected, even
if you are at the control.

The effect of what earwaxer hears is consistent with what I've heard
when jitter is removed from the system using Big Ben reclocker, removing
noise induced jitter on AC line by isolation transformer and power
regenerator, etc.

In my case, wired or wireless is the same, because I've a Big Ben with
a custom made linear power supply for removing jitter from the
Transporter.

--
Kuro