....and then adjust the roll-off so that the sub is active no higher than 120Hz
at the absolute maximum. My REL Strata 5 is set to start rolling off at 28Hz
with LS3/5As - not noted for their massive bass response - and at only 22 with
my Quad 989s. The REL pre-set roll off is steep, and with these settings it
works wonderfully with either. You don't notice it's there, if you don't know
already, but you certainly notice when it's not. These are not, of course,
active speakers, but the point is that REL's recommendation about their
settings is reliable - that one should to limit the sub to the very bottom of
the audible range, and let the main speakers take over as soon as they are
capable of it