I was intrigued by this notion of there being an audible difference
between FLAC and WAV files, so I have conducted a little experiment of
my own.

I ripped just one track of a CD.
To make it a bit more all encompassing I decided to rip to 2 lossless
uncompressed formats and 2 lossless compressed formats.
These formats are WAV, AIFF, ALAC & FLAC respectively.
All tracks were ripped with the same ripping tool (dbPoweramp), and all
tracks were ripped securely on first pass and returned identical
AccurateRip results. Indeed, the checksums for all of the rips were
identical.

I then copied the file over into My Music on my system, and adjusted
the value of WAV playback to native in my Squeezebox Server client - all
the other formats were already set as native, so no need to adjust
anything.

Then I sought out the folder with the four rips and had a listen.
I used my laptop to control the playback and view the gui interface
remotely, and I had no indication as to which track was which in terms
of playback.
And I can't hear any bloody difference between any of them !

Which leads me to a number of possible conclusions.

Either there are no audible differences or my system does not resolve
highly enough to make the differences audible or my hearing is shot, or
maybe any combination of the previous options apply.

YMMV

Chris :)

--
Stratmangler

There is no element of personal attack in my response.