I haven't got time to get deeply into this a the moment but:

1) if you can only hear a very very quiet sound with your ear pressed
against a driver I can absolutely guarantee you can't hear it at all at
1 metre/3 feet away. The inverse square rule sees to that.

2) any sound in the 3 least significant bits is going to be totally
masked by other higher level sounds >99.9% of the time. This is
partially why good MP3 can be VERY hard to detect...

3) The sound simply does not collapse into a catastrophically dynamic
range limited, noisy mess if the digital volume is not at 100. You have
to go way lower than that... Final thought. You are listening to a
track. It starts to fade out. Does the sound quality collapse or does
it just get quieter. You know how that fade was achieved? ...yes you've
guessed...

4) I don't care if my DAC can only resolve to 20-bits since the best
ADC's in the world struggle to get 20-bits of usable signal. The bottom
4 bits are always just noise...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio