michael123;539244 Wrote:
> ..not using digital attenuation for more than 10db
> more than that has significant impact on high-end setup (== does not
> necessarily means lot of $$$$, but high-resolution speakers and
> amplification)
>
> I had Transporter hooked directly to the amplifier, but since the
> amplifier I have is very sensitive I attenuated signal to 50-60% of the
> maximum volume, and lost almost everything - resolution, depth. Shortly
> - it became boring.
>
> Phil and Pat will not agree, yet..
>

> I ran these FLACs in my setup, and the maximum (minimum) I got is
> 108db, the signal volume was so low so I could barely hear.
> BTW, Transporter VU meter does not show a thing even for 84db
> That was with tube preamp (which has 100db SNR by the spec)
>
> Directly, though, I could hear only 96db.. I did notice less noise
> (generated by tubes probably)
> So, what I am testing here? My hearing?

No Michael - I don't disagree with you. Using a maximum of 10dB of
digital attenuation is fine and is in fact what I use (max volume but
replaygain of up to -10dB). I defy anyone to detect any degradation @
-10dB.

What I do disagree with is folks who say "ANYTHING < 100 sounds
dreadful". No it doesn't. I think if you listen very carefully on SOME
material you MAY be able to hear the effects of increased SNR and
reduced dynamic range at (say) -20-30dB...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio