On 02/05/10 16:35, mswlogo wrote:

> Here is an example of a well Mixed Recording. It is one of my standards
> I always use when evaluating systems.
>
> http://softronix.com/pictures/levelperfect/Kenny_Neal_What_You_Got_Full.jpg

Hmm, we obviously have different ideas of "well-mixed"; it's certainly
clear, but the drums are a little too prominent for my liking, and it
sounds a little sterile overall. But that's a subjective thing.

Here are a few tracks I particularly like the sound of:

 - "They're Red Hot" from "Me & Mr. Johnson" by Eric Clapton
 - "Hurt" from "American IV" by Johnny Cash
 - "Birdland" from "Heavy Weather" by Weather Report
 - "Freddie Freeloader" from "Kind Of Blue" by Miles Davis

Interestingly, none of them are clipped.

> But if you look close it's CLIPPED. Will you hear this tiny bit of
> clipping never. The more I look at good recordings the more I see of
> this. It's a sign that the mixer pushed the dynamic range to the limit.
> Which you should do when dealing with 16bits.
>
> http://softronix.com/pictures/levelperfect/Kenny_Neal_What_You_Got.jpg

IMHO, there is *NO* excuse to push levels into clipping. None. Nada.
It's just bad. By all means maximise the levels, but there really is no
need to push them into clipping.

> Here is an example of a poor mix. Way too much headroom over 6dB.
>
> http://softronix.com/pictures/levelperfect/Beach_Boys_Lonely_Sea.jpg

No, that's an example of a gentle track in the context of a whole album.
Sometimes musicians will want to play softly. Some things are more
important than SNR, you know?

R.