mswlogo;542665 Wrote:
> A good mixer will see if he let's a *FEW* (not ONE but a few) NARROW
> (beyond human hearing) fringe peaks clip a little then he can get more
> dynamic range
Working within the context of a defined word length, allowing clipping
does NOT give you more dynamic range. If you're mastering for 16 bit
PCM, you have 96dB of dynamic range to play with - pushing levels so
things clip doesn't change this.

*IF* your programme material is such that it requires more dynamic
range than your word length provides, *THEN* it may be appropriate to
allow a very modest amount of clipping in order to get the lower end of
the recording into the bottom bits. (Although in most (all?) cases
applying some soft peak limiting would be preferable to simple
clipping).

But I contend that no real world recording actually requires anything
like 96dB of dynamic range. Even the fade out of Neptune from The
Planets can probably get away with just 70dB. As far as I can see there
is never any justification to impose peak limiting or clipping on an
actual CD release.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A