bhaagensen;543339 Wrote:
> OP, I appreciate your writeup on the matter. As true as the judgements
> may be to you, it is however suffering from not including very much
> information in terms of point(s) of reference. I.e. the relevant
> "conditions" under which your subjective judgements are made. IMO.

Sorry, forgot to give you a bit of a context: I am streaming my
lossless files (mostly AIFF peppered with some hi-rez FLAC) wirelessly
into Logitech Squeezebox Duet DS player. From there, I am sending the
signal via digital coax connector (4 meters long) into Beresford Caiman
DAC. From there, I am connecting, via fixed outputs, into DSP 200s pre
amp. From there, straight into DPA 200s power amp, and finally feeding
a pair of kick ass MG1 IMP planar speakers (a.k.a. Maggies, proudly
standing 5 feet tall, 22 inches wide).

I am comparing that audio chain with my previous one, where everything
else remained the same, except the Caiman DAC was missing and I was
using the internal Logitech Squeezebox DAC.

The difference in the sound between the two systems described above is
nothing short of astounding. Beresford Caiman DAC introduced so many
changes to the sound, that it's not even funny. To my ears, the biggest
change occurs in the low end of the spectrum (much stronger, much
warmer, more muscular bass without any traces of muddiness).

The next biggest improvement is in the mid-range resolution, which now
brings 300% more details than before.

On the down side, the higher range sounds overly muffled. For example,
metal chimes now sound more like bamboo chimes, if you know what I
mean.

This bothers me right now to no end. My question to the elders in this
community is: will this muffling of the high end eventually go away
with proper burn in, or am I stuck with it? The rest of the
improvements that Caiman brings are simply to die for, so I'd really be
loathe to have to give it all up just because this DAC is ham fisted on
the high end.

In case the muffled high ends stay after the proper burn in, should I
experiment with changing the interconnects? Should I bypass the DSP
200s preamp and go straight into the power amp (via the variable
outputs on the DAC)?

--
magiccarpetride