Mnyb;548522 Wrote:
> The jitter is not an error in the data itself, it looks like an analog
> interface problem where the dac circuit tries to recover a stable clock
> freq.
> Nothing to do with the data content ?

Depends a bit what you mean by 'data content', but I suspect by your
thinking the answer is no. However, when the data reaches the point at
which they are synchronously related to the DAC chip, they must be
regarded in time as well as space - the former contains the jitter, so
to speak.

But the effect of jitter is effectively distortion of the wave-form
(represented by the data). One can easily simlate distortion [in the
broad sense] by fiddling with the data. Jitter is obviously not any
kind of distortion. If one knew exactly what kind of distortion jitter
generates, such simulations could work by altering the bit-words
AFAIKS. But the problem is perhaps that, as I indicated in my previous
post, good statistical models for jitter-generated distortion have
never been worked out? Another issue is that as always, there would be
quantization errors - those must of course be orders of magnitudes less
than the jitter errors themselves.

Mnyb;548522 Wrote:

> Funny that god old analog timing errors as wov and flutter in reel to
> reel tape and turntables is not a problem for some when digital timing
> error magnitudes smaller is ?

Hard to say - if just someone could come up with a way of identifying
jitter as non-ambigously as wow and flutter ;)

--
bhaagensen