Phil Leigh;549671 Wrote:
> To answer the original question - we can't "directly" emulate jitter as
> it has no representation in a sequence of samples. What we can do is to
> analyse the (VERY TINY) amount of distortion caused by a given amount of
> jitter and convolve that into the mix...
>
> This is exactly how tape head saturation emulators or any digital
> modelling plugin works.

That distorsion is measured in the hifi rags as some kind of "side
bands" to a test signal , actually very analog to how tape decks behave
re wov  & flutter ? or i'm off the mark here ? these where also tested
in a similar fashion back in the days where you measured side bands to
a center frequency.

What to call this kind of distortion it's not harmonic as it does not
originate as frequency multiples of anything in the audio content ?
Nor is it an inter-modulation product of any frequencies in the audio
content ?

Does the actual audio content at all modulate the signal in a fashion
that influence the jitter ?

Or is strictly an affair between source and DAC ?

Afik there is some kind of coding even in spdif that makes the signal
for example not being made up of only zeros for 2 minutes, then you
would loose any clock . The signal must be some square-wave'ish shape
all the time ?

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J and assorted amps SiriuS,
Classe'Primare and Dynadio speakers (including a pair of Contour 4 )
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Miscellaneous use: Radio (with battery)
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this