There is a paper around somewhere (I searched but couldn't find it
again), that explains how jitter can be introduced into a S/PDIF
bitstream by limiting the frequency response of the pulse detection
circuity at the front end of the S/PDIF receiver chain.  From what I
recall, the cause was the biphase mark encoding process and how the
clock is recovered given that a '1' effectively is twice the frequency
of a '0'. The paper suggested that a simple RC circuit introduced into
the S/PDIF receiver circuitry could be used to synthesise jitter.

I keep meaning to try it.

At the risk of going down memory lane, I recall in my early days at the
BBC a demonstration box that was effectively an A to D to A that allowed
you to select the the number of bits in a sample to hear what it sounded
like. You could listen to 16bit audio, and while the music was playing
select different sample sizes. The most telling sound was the decay of
a single note on the piano. It was quite possible to tell the
difference between 15 and 16 bits.

It would be interesting to do the same for jitter, just to see what it
'sounds like'

--
Andy8421