Mnyb;549683 Wrote:
> That distorsion is measured in the hifi rags as some kind of "side
> bands" to a test signal ...
You are probably referring to Stereophile's jitter test methodology.
They input a fixed amplitude and fixed frequency signal to the DAC and
expect only that at the output . Any other frequency components (side
bands) are considered distortions and/or artefacts of jitter. In
essence, this is the same technique (in reverse) used in FM modulation.
The audio frequency modulates a carrier frequency.
BTW, everybody here seems to be erudite enough on this subject (and
more). I am not sure the mission of the OP to pin a signature to the
"sound of jitter" is feasible or even worth it. It is probably an
academic exercise. As a hobbyist (i am too overworked to get more
technical in my hobby as well :-( ), I feel jitter does impact sound
negatively.

--
SoftwireEngineer