Thank you both,

The Audiogon thread does indeed apply.  And it is exactly what I
suspected.  I want to use a discontinued Dynaudio sub with the
Transporter whose balanced outputs go to the powered dynaudio BM5a's.

The Transporter's RCA's go to a whole house audio system. I'm not sure
if the RCA's were dedicated to the sub, bridged and run to the sub the
volume adjustment would track together with the XLR outs anyway.

The sub has a lowpass filter-so I don't need or want a crossover.  The
only option that I can think of is to use the sub for only the very
lowest frequencies and assume they are equally recorded on both
channels. If that is a good asumption then I could run just one channel
to the sub using a balanced "Y" connector.  I suspect this is why the
amp is discontinued.  Modern Dyna subs accept both L & R and combine
them internally after some sort of buffer stage so the whole system
doesn't become mono.

What do you think of the one channel only to sub idea?

George

--
gsawdy