iPhone;561817 Wrote:
> ...I would buy a TP II in a heartbeat if it was an improvement over the
> current TP (not just a new box so touch screen can be used instead of
> VFD). TP II could be that complete all in one product it seems the
> public is looking for because its 19 inch rack mount size has the room
> needed for more CPU/RAM, a USB hub, Full SBS onboard, ripping software
> for a USB Optical drive, and so on. Let the customer add what outside
> accessories he wants or needs per his situation. TP II could easily
> take market share from Olive and Sonos if the Users and Audio Community
> were part of its development before a prototype was even build. The
> object, build a product that doesn't need marketing because its already
> what the public wants. Don't build a product then market it in hopes it
> sells.
>
> If we are going to speculate, why not be as positive as possible
> instead of giving Logitech just what they want to hear not to go
> forward?

I wasn't trying to be negative - maybe realistic?

To your list of features I would also add:
1) completely silent
2) low-energy
3) must have an onboard hardware display of some sort (not a
multi-colour LED!) that can be physically taken out of circuit
electrically via a software or hardware switch
4) wired+wi-fi (n) with seamless autoswitching, wi-fi module fully
disabled when ethernet is connected
5) use standard RAM modules
6) support 24/192
7) ripping and tagging control integrated into the SBS web UI
8) have a full range, remotely operable volume control that works
across all inputs - in addition to the digital level control (and that
should be 48-bit)
9) Have a properly designed case that looks like a high-end DS/NMP, not
a rack-mount or an alarm clock :-)
10) hardware buttons +remote switching for digital inputs
11) front-mounted USB and "Play direct from stick"
12) ability to play CDs from Optical drive without ripping
13) at least one analogue input
14) a rear-mounted USB port that can connect directly to a computer for
use via Foobar/Winamp etc as a hardware player (no SBS involved)

Personally I'd like to see the DAC+its local PSU being a discrete card
(like on TACT) that can be optionally fitted and upgraded.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio