I had a somewhat similar issue, but can't tell if really the same. Maybe
twice a week, I'd be playing transporter and it just stopped. VU meters
not moving, no sound, etc. but did not go to "off" screensaver (and the
"timer" kept ticking away). I think I may have had a similar issue
occasionally with my own files at the time as well. Running SbS 7.5
(win xp) when this happened. See this thread for my posting on this.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=77321

Installed 7.5.1 and then shortly after 7.5.2 and this hasn't happened
since maybe May?  No good answers for you, and my issue was likely
different, but I never did discover the source of the problem.

--
garym