Phil Leigh;570093 Wrote:
> Chris - the benefit is that the DAC will shift its anti-alias filter
> well away from the audible frequency range. It's not about extra info -
> as you say there isn't any. It's a trick - but a good one.
And one which pretty much all DACs (except for those off-the-wall NOS
jobbies) have been doing since the late 1980s.

If you want the benefit of moving the reconstruction filter out of
harm's way, simple oversampling does the trick (and as I said above,
happens inside most DACs anyway).

I've never understood why people think that "upsampling" (stuffing
invented samples in between the actual ones) could achieve anything
more, but they swear it sounds better, so there must be something in it
- almost certainly psychological.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A