JohnSwenson;571006 Wrote:
> I've already posted my thoughts on this subject back towards the
> beginning of this thread but I'll restate them here.
>
> It seems to me there are two parts to this debate: 1, can people hear
> it. 2, is there a measurable mechanism that can account for it.
>
> In regards to 1:
>
> I CAN hear a definite difference between decoding FLAC and PCM on the
> Touch through its analog outs. I HAVE done blind tests and can still
> detect the difference. Some people have chimed up and said that these
> are scientifically useless tests and are thus meaningless. To which I
> say, please post an officially sanctioned protocol that IS valid and I
> will be glad to take part. I am NOT an expert at such testing and don't
> know what constitutes an acceptable test. It seems to me that the people
> that insist on such tests are the ones that are responsible for
> providing the terms of such a test. Where are they?
>
> On 2, one possible mechanism is jitter feeding the DAC chip. I do have
> some equipment that can be used to measure jitter, but its not super
> sensitive. The jitter in the Touch is just below the level of what my
> equipment can measure. With this setup I cannot measure a difference
> between FLAC and PCM decode, but that is not conclusive. I need a more
> sensitive jitter analyzer for this test. When headphones are plugged
> into the Touch I CAN see an increase in jitter above the threshold of
> my equipment, so it IS possible for the jitter to change in the Touch.
> (it doesn't mean decoder differences affect jitter, but it does say
> that something going on inside the Touch can change the jitter)
>
> There are much more sensitive jitter analyzers, but they cost $35K to
> $50K and I can't afford that. If anyone wants to donate to the cause I
> will be glad to accept a donation or loan of such an instrument to make
> the tests.
>
> Another test being performed is Audio Diffmaker. This sounds like it
> should be a perfect test. The problem I have is that the AD converters
> being used for the testing have several times the jitter of the Touch.
> How can you hope to make a valid test of the affect of a small jitter
> change on a waveform when what you are using to sample that waveform
> has jitter 10 times greater than the what you are trying to measure? If
> someone has an AD converter with a 10ps jitter or less sampling clock
> that would be a MUCH better instrument to use. I could build one, but
> again that takes money I don't have.
>
> So there you have my stand, I'm convinced that I can hear the
> difference between FLAC and PCM decoded on the Touch (via wired
> ethernet) on the analog outputs. As of this time I have not been able
> to measure anything electrical that could be causing this. BUT I don't
> think I have the proper test equipment to to do a decent job of
> measuring it if it does exist.
>
> John S.

I think John has put his finger on an important point here! -

It reminds me of college physics. Specifically the "Heisenberg
uncertainty principle". Sometimes when you try to observe/measure
something you cant help but change what it is you are trying to
observe/measure! Hense - some things are inherently unmeasurable. -
probably all bs, but its fun to think about!

--
earwaxer9

System: modified Winsome Labs Mouse, modified Maggie MMG's, Transporter,
HSU sub 12, MSB DAC to 500 watt sub slave amp, JPS labs power cords,
Silver audio interconnect, Audioquest Granite speaker cable.