NewBuyer;572018 Wrote:
> I think you are certainly doing better now, with this last proposal.  No
> longer is there a subjective "better" involved in the research
> hypothesis, but rather a more realistic test of a detected
> "difference".  Also using different songs for different trial pairs
> will in fact allow a more realistic approximation to the
> independence-of-trials requirement - particularly if the test subject
> is NOT involved in the choice of songs used.  I believe you could still
> benefit the test structure further by doing a two-sided test here -
> otherwise your P-values will likely be too artificially low.  Also, if
> you are trying to establish that detection success is generally more
> likely than merely random selection, you absolutely would need to
> utilize randomly selected subjects, and definitely more test subjects
> than just one (even if that one is John!)  :)

Thanks, agree generally, but specifically:
- Different songs are not required, but may be preferred.  Independence
is provided by random pairs of songs that are the same format or
different formats, even if all the pairs are the same song.
- It should be one tailed as to prove he hears a difference he has to
correctly identify difference or sameness in enough cases.  If he often
states the opposite of what the reality it will certainly be strange but
it would mean that he couldn't hear the difference in pairs that were in
fact different.
- I think the H0 should be expanded that nobody can hear the difference
on any song. H1 in this case (assuming John as subject) is that John can
hear the difference on songs he chose.  It would of course be better to
do this on more subjects though, but it does have to be on people who
claim they can hear a difference.  If I don't think I hear the
differences I cannot take these tests.

I think most of the lossless is lossless camp believes nobody can hear
any difference on any song. So a reasonable alternative is someone can
hear some difference on some songs.

I think I'll set up a spreadsheet to help people set this and check the
result.

--
lrossouw

Louis