azaz44;573766 Wrote:
> You're right, I somehow mixed up the pins.
>
> But I think the connectors must be OK, as the amp starts fine and plays
> music from all other sources I have, other then SB3.
>
> What is really strange, is that plugging a passive amp with no power
> (and no ground) in between helps.
>
> I've bought some cheap RCA cables and will disassembly one of them on
> one end and try to connect grounds.

Stop. I have an idea. Based on CliveB's observation that the pins on
your adaptors are actually wired up as per the website - and not as you
posted...

I think what is happening is this:

1) the EC will not fire up unless it senses a medium level impedance
across its inputs - this must be based on some voltage or current
sensing circuit. This is done for good reasons - it's to prevent
destroying your speakers if you start the amp without anyhting
connected to its inputs and then plug something in - which can send
full power transients through your speakers.

2) The Creek passive pre-amp puts an impedance of 5k ohms with the
volume control in circuit and about 10 ohms (!) from the fixed output.
This is obviously enough to satisfy the protection circuit.

3) The SB on its own is too high an impedance to activate the un-mute
circuit. I don't know what the output impedance of the SB is, but it's
going to be higher than a pre-amp - maybe 10 times higher. The EC is
expecting to be driven from a low-ish impedance source...

That's the only explanation I can come up with that seems to fits the
facts to hand.

As for a fix... well you really should have some form of passive
attenuation between ANY SB and a power amp anyway - for safety reasons.
I'd stick the Creek back in if I were you.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.