I made shorting plugs and tried this way. Shorting plugs to the '-', and
signal to the '+'. And all of the sudden, it works fine! Tried several
times - the amp starts fine and plays music directly from the SB3.

There must be some difference between XLR pins and RCA inputs. On the
picture there are some capacitors (I think) connected in between.

Interesting, this means I was listening to it wrong way all from the
beginning... Maybe now I will not love this sound anymore :)

I don't know how it sounds now yet (my home is too noisy today), except
that it plays music.

As it comes to the volume and safety, I did go to 85/100 in SB3 - it
was really loud, but I think still safe for the speakers. The lowest
level (1) could be too loud sometimes in the evening, for background
music. I think I saw some option in player settins to lower the volume
by some constant number. This could help, although I still would be a
little bit afraid of some sudden configuration reset or anything.

I wonder now how Transporter would be, and think how nice it would be
if Transporter had additional analog inputs and input switching, so it
would be a complete preamp...

--
azaz44