Wombat;574730 Wrote:
> I second that. The SB3 alone has an output that should have not the
> slightest problem to drive a pre-amp input. The Op-Amp in the exit has
> enough current juice even for low impedance power-amps.
> If a pre-amp betters the sound the power-amp has some broken or badly
> engineered inputs or the pre-amp just adds his own "sweet" sound.

and felt pretty smug about for the last 20+ years w/ my very decent
passive VC setup, an impedance friendly setup at that, i.e very short
cables, high input impedance on the amp 75kOhms, 50kOhm Alps pot and
the low low impedance out of a DAC of 30 ohms. I know there was clarity
galore yes, but as I turn up the volume, some sorts of compression kicks
in and the sound is still clear but congested, I always felt my system
is more capable than that. I loved the clarity but there is persistent
thinness to the sound. The sound is clear but flat, if you know what I
mean. So there was this "what if" nagging at me through several passive
potentiometer changes, from cheap Shacks stuffs to TKD to Alps (I
started PVC experiment in 1986!)
Well, I know now that there is almost as much plus and minus in PVC as
in AVC and impedance mismatch can really tip the scale either way. I
know now that the precious low level line out that contains both
voltage and current that are easily messed up by lousy connections or
equipments.

SB3 > Benchmark DAC1 HDR > Balanced XLR > Pass X250 > B&W N802 > Nicer!

--
empty99