I don't have a SB 3 but I do have a Duet.  The difference in sound
quality between the Duet analog and an external DAC was not subtle,
even in an only moderately good system (15+ year old entry-level
high-end equipment) and using a 15 year old DAC (PS Audio Ultralink).
The Duet analog is fine for a typical receiver-based mid-fi system, but
not for even an entry-level high-end system.  Now also have a Touch
running into a new Wyred4sound DAC 1 in the much better system, but
have not had the time nor motivation to do any comparative listening
tests.  If your main concern is sound quality, I would personally go
for an external DAC.  I personally don't know anything about the DAC
Magic.  I was pretty surprised at how good the 15 year old Ultralink
still sounds.

--
ncarver