ralphpnj;578486 Wrote:
> The benefits of bi-wiring are still the subject of debate but there are
> very clear and audible reasons for using spikes - they do provide
> improve the performance of a given speaker.
>
> Some audiophile tweaks are just bad or questionable science but many
> others are good science and very useful. Bi-wiring and spikes are
> examples of each.

It a very clear difference in using spike you tune in a resonance in
the midrange/lower bass it's very different indeed. I'm all for soft
springy feets tuned to the speakers weight.

like these:

http://www.sonicdesign.se/sdfeet.html

You can not make the speaker rigid enough with spikes.
So a floating suspension tuned below the bass range actually makes the
speaker stand more still than with spikes .

I read an article somewhere (forgive me for my bad source references, I
should really try to find them when needed) that biwiring is slightly
worse than a good enough single wire, this makes sense two different
LCR networks in series with each filter.

For example Dynaudio does not believe in biwiring and are not offering
it on their speakers (or so it was when I last checked, maybe they
caved in to).

And worse as marketing wants biwiring terminals you can not build
speakers with series filters ? Some times a series filter can be the
best choice for the application. So a whole class of filter topologies
are exluded ?

Maybe in the case of passive bi-amping you can make good use of the
biwiring terminals. Audiovector sometimes demo with passive triamping
?
They have triwired speakers and also offers cryo freezed components so
their science is not much to have.

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 and assorted amps
SiriuS, Classe' Primare and Dynadio speakers, Contour 4 Contour Center,
and Contour 1.3SE for the rear ch. Rel Stadium 3 sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Miscellaneous use: Radio (with battery)
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this