Phil Leigh;578530 Wrote:
> 1) 24-bit PRECISION. The ambient noise will be represented by word
> values built from the sum of the lowest 14-15 bits.
> 2) 16-bit PRECISION. The ambient noise will be represented by word
> values built from the sum of the lowest 6-7 bits.

I'm afraid this is a little more complicated than that.

The spectrum of noise from 14/15 bits will be far more pleasing on the
ear than the spectrum of noise from 6/7 bits. Regardless to a point of
the total number of bits.

It was not uncommon in the early days of CDs for random noise to be
added to the lower bits as noise as it's more appealing to the ear than
quantisation distortion which is higher as the number of overall bits is
decreased.

--
Waldo Pepper