Robin Bowes;581544 Wrote:
> On 25/09/10 20:44, Robin Bowes wrote:
> > On 24/09/10 19:26, Robin Bowes wrote:
> >>
> >> So, what's a good Toslink cable?
> >>

> > I couldn't be bothered to look into this too much, so I bought a
> couple
> > from Blue Jeans.
> >
> > I don't believe that digital cables make any difference, as long as
> they
> > fit the sockets well, and Blue Jeans use good connectors. That's
> about
> > as far as my reasoning goes! Only trouble is, they have to come from
> the
> > States so take a few days to get here. Ah well, I guess I can manage
> > with my AES cables for a bit longer...
>
> Well, the Toslinks arrived today and, after spring a further £12.51
> for
> "VAT + £8 Post Office admin charge" - Grrrrr - I got them home.
>
> And, the verdict is...either the DEQ has crap Toslink sockets, or the
> Blue Jeans cables have crap plugs, or Toslink is just crap. Either
> way,
> I could only get a sound if I pushed the plug into the digital out of
> the SEQ quite firmly.
>
> Is that normal for Toslink? Are they usually so poor? Is there a trick
> to getting them to plug in properly?
>
> Meanwhile, I'm back on the homemade XLR AEs/EBU cables.
>
> R.
> --
> "Feed that ego and you starve the soul" - Colonel J.D. Wilkes
> http://www.theshackshakers.com/

Toslink is (or was) used extensively in low-end studios (ADAT lipepipe)
- it is fairly mechanically robust....just don't over bend the cable!

The plugs should click into place. This can require some insertion
force - but not excessively so.

Some plugs have protectors over the end of the fibre cable (usually
black in colour). These need to be discarded.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.