magiccarpetride;581951 Wrote:
> I wasn't very clear in my previous explanation: it is not desirable to
> use a DAC that will take the bit-perfect digital signal and just
> faithfully convert it to analog signal. Why? Because the digital
> source, when compared to the same analog source, sucks beyond belief.
> The digital source is just a crude approximation, a crass caricature,
> if you will, of the original analog signal that got captured by the
> microphone and stored on the magnetic tape. Think of a digital audio
> source as if being similar to an extremely pixelated photo. The DAC
> needs to upconvert the harsh jagged edges into smooth curves. In order
> to be able to do that, the DAC needs to be very creative, that is,
> built with some ingenuity.

I don't mean to be rude, but... that's pretty badly wrong.  If you
don't believe me, see the posts by Sean Adams here (the designer of the
squeezebox products), or read any book on signal analysis, Fourier
transforms, or information theory.

Here's the very simplest way I can think of to explain why you're
incorrect.  Take your jagged-edged signal produced by a DAC and
subtract it from the original analog signal.  The result of that
subtraction is the distortion induced by the A-->D-->A chain.  The
relevant question is whether or not that distortion is audible when
added to the original signal, or whether or not it's as loud as the
noise component of the original analog signal.  If the answer to both
questions is no, then the digital signal will not sound audibly
different from the original.

A more sophisticated way to look at it is via Shannon, Hartley, and
Nyquist, who proved a series of mathematical theorems that tell you
precisely what you need to do to encode and reproduce a real-world
(finite bandwidth, finite signal/noise) analog signal.  The 16 bit 44.1
kHz standard was designed to meet those requirements up to and beyond
the level of audible differences, and does so under realistic
conditions.

If you don't believe me, try distinguishing the sound of a vinyl record
from a good quality digital recording (or A-->D-->A processed version)
of that same record.

Here are two attempts to do that, both failures:
http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/bas_speaker/abx_testing2.htm
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=21&t=7953

There are more such tests out there.

--