On 11/10/10 01:29, magiccarpetride wrote:

> Photography is meant to be enjoyed by people, not blown up to a very
> large size and then analyzed. Such experiment is at best geeky and thus
> useless.

The use-case for the experiment was for large posters. It was not a
pointless "geeky" experiment.

> You can compare for yourself. Take a fancy digital camera, the fanciest
> one there is (let's say something with 20,000+ pixels that retails for
> $10,000.00+). Go to a park, preferably on a late sunny
> afternoon/evening, and find a spot where the sun rays are shining
> through leafy trees. Face the sunny rays so that your eyes squint, and
> take a snapshot with the digital camera, and then from the same spot
> take a snapshot with a film camera.
>
> Compare the prints -- you'll see that film is way superior in retaining
> the extremes between bright light and shadows. Digital cannot come even
> close at handling such heavy and demanding contrast. Thus digital is
> clearly inferior to film.
>
> Similar reasoning goes for digital sound vs analog.

Except that... well, as opaqueice has already suggested your
understanding of these things is wrong on so many levels, and I can't be
bothered to educate you.

You may well enjoy your Caiman DAC, but it sure as hell ain't for the
reasons you're claiming!

R.
--
"Feed that ego and you starve the soul" - Colonel J.D. Wilkes
http://www.theshackshakers.com/