magiccarpetride;596419 Wrote:
> So what am I missing? Or, am I missing anything? I've noticed the same
> unsubstantiated hoopla with other vendors, such as Chesky Records, for
> example. Their much ballyhooed superior recording and mastering
> sessions always leave me wanting MORE sound. It all sounds super wimpy
> and anemic.
I haven't heard your Steinway recording, but I suspect part, if not
most, of the problem is one of perspective. In other words, what's your
reference point?

Many of the recordings some regard as higher quality mimic what one
would hear at a live acoustic concert as a member of the audience.

However, other listeners are used to the super-close multi-miked
recordings. Yes, one hears the mechanical action of the instrument, or
singers breathing in, or drummers with 12 foot arm spans, but this
rarely what one hears live, even if you were a performer.

That type of recording is highly regarded by some, and looked down on
by others. It depends on your preference. If you're looking to closely
reproduce a live performance from a normal audience perspective, the
close miked stuff will be unnatural. However, others who are used to
improving on reality (the Kodachrome effect) will find an audience
perspective recording a bit on the dull side.

Pick your poison.

--
mlsstl