diego;602575 Wrote:

> Now, it is generally accepted that converting FLAC-Files on the Server
> (and not on the touch) delivers better sound quality (like suggested e.
> g. on
> http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Logitech-Squeezebox-Touch-Review
> )

Not by me it isn't...
diego;602575 Wrote:

> When playing 16 bit / 44.1 khz - Files, everything is plausible, when
> the server informs me about the bitrate:
> Bitrate: 947kb/s VBR (Konvertiert in 1411kb/s PCM)
>
> Now, when I play 24 bit / 96 khz - Files, I get the following
> information:
> Bitrate: 3160kb/s VBR (Konvertiert in 1411kb/s PCM)
>
> Is that TRUE? Does that mean, the server does DOWN-SAMPLING on those
> high resolution files??? Just down to CD quality (and all that with
> some probably not-so-sophisticated-because-real-time algorithm...)???
>
> Now, that is certainly not what I want, when paying for those pretty
> expensive high-res files...
>
> Now, what are the best settings then to really take advantage of the
> higher resolution? Should the FLAC decoding be made on the server, or
> on the Touch itself?
>
> Thanks in advance for any useful advice! Best regards, Diego

You can IGNORE the displayed bit rates - they are wrong. They are just
a guess.

24/96 (FLAC or WAV) streams at 24/96 via a TOUCH and at 24/48 via an
SB3.

The default settings for SBS are fine. I suggest you leave them alone.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.