stop-spinning;603665 Wrote:
> OK that's useful and reassuring information.
>
> I am looking to get superb quality sound from the SB (I notice that
> Consonance now do something similar). My plans are to use the SB into a
> NOS DAC using something like the TDA1543 chips (which I have heard and
> liked).
>
> I might play safe and opt for the SB Touch. I may have been told this
> wrongly but, will I compromise the sound quality if I use wireless
> instead of 'hard wired' (with good quality CAT6 cable)? Or is it purely
> a digital signal without the overhead of carrying a clock signal in the
> real time stream with that nasty worry of inducing 'jitter' en-route
> over the air-waves?
>
> So in essence - during the transfer of music from the server to the SB
> - is there jitter in any way shape or form?

wi-fi and ethernet are identical. The transmission protocol is TCP/IP
which is an asynchronous protocol and thus CANNOT and does not have
anything to do with jitter, which is a clock-related phenomena... there
are NO clocks in TCP/IP :-)

In a squeezebox solution, the only jitter you have to worry about is in
an external DAC ( if you are using one ).

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.