diego;604931 Wrote:
> As far as I know... every data exchange between computers relies on an
> error correction process. And the better the network is (and wired
> seems to be more reliable as you say), the less load the error
> correction causes. Or am I wrong...?
>
> Well... as for the volume control disabling and the technical details
> of it, I let you discuss directly with Klaus... I wrote already, that
> OF COURSE volume was at 100% before, always... I am not a programmer
> nor a engeneer, but I know enough to to assume, that digital volume
> control compresses dynamics.
>
> Again, my technical knowledge is limited, I just listen to what comes
> out of my nice amp and speakers... May I just bring up an assumption?
> You will correct me, if I am completely wrong: Couldn't it be, that the
> volume control algorithm recalculates the stream anyway, in every
> setting, no matter if its on 80%, 90% or 100%? I mean, there is a given
> input, a volume percentage set by the user, and that gives as a result a
> recalculated output. In case of lets say, 90%, the output is different
> from the input (cut dynamics). In case of 100%, the output is the same,
> as you wrote... but it is still recalculated by the processor, causing
> cpu/kernel load. So, if my guess is right, 100% is of course 100%, bit
> by bit. But the processor uses its resources anyway, the same as if it
> would cut it down to 90% volume. And these resources could be held
> ready for more important calculations...
>
> Again, this just an assumption from a non technician... but as you have
> studied the code, it would be interesting to know, if you can 100%
> exclude this.
>
> And, to complete... for what reasons, if not for "hifi", other SB
> models seem to have a volume control disabling option?

Volume disable is useful if you want to play DTS or HDCD files into a
DAC, because ANY change to the bitstream will turn DTS into white noise
and HDCD won't work.

The code still does EXACTLY the same amount of work before or after the
mod.
When vol=100 (max) there is NO "digital volume" in circuit.

Digital volume doesn't "squash dynamics" in normal use, but that's way
off-topic :-)

Finally there is NO error correction on ethernet transmission! - there
is checksum processing which detects invalid/corrupt packets, but it
can't correct them, they have to be retransmitted. So no, there is no
additional processor loading. Corrupt packets are extremely rare on a
properly configured LOCAL network. They are much more likely over the
Internet.

It's nothing like (for example) CD error correction or interpolation.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.