magiccarpetride;609382 Wrote:
> If you follow the steps I'm going to outline below, you will easily
> achieve high end audiophile performance on a shoestring budget:
>
> 1. Order Beresford Caiman DAC
> (http://www.beresford.me/PP/Caiman__DAC.html); it will cost you £179.99
> (only $290.00). But before you do that, call Stan Beresford (the genius
> behind this amazing DAC, and ask him to Gatorize it for ya (he'll know
> what you mean). For additional $50.00, it will be well worth the
> effort, because Gatorized Caiman is a ferocious DAC that can compete
> shoulder to shoulder with many $2,000+ DACs I've listened to.
>
> 2. Order Logitech Squeezebox Touch ($300.00).
>
> 3. Connect your Touch to the Caiman DAC.
>
> 4. Follow the instructions on this page to the letter:
> http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/2011/01/soundchecks-squeezebox-touch-toolbox-20.html
>
> 5. Lastly, follow the instructions on this page:
> http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/2011/01/soundchecks-tt-beta-blog.html
>
> Voila! For approximately $700.00, and some additional fiddling with the
> mods, you'll have a digital player that can easily compete with Linn
> Akurate ($8,000 retail). In my opinion, modded Touch fed into Gatorized
> Caiman can almost outperform these $5,000+ plus players. All you need to
> top it off is a good digital coaxial cable, and a decent pair of analog
> interconnects, and no one will be able to wipe the wide idiotic grin
> off your face.
>
> As far as unmodded Touch goes, even then you'll notice drastic
> improvement in the sound quality, compared to the Duet. I know, I've
> been myself through all these upgrades. Started with Duet, ordered
> Caiman DAC, then moved to Touch, modded the Touch, and now I'm sitting
> in the audio nirvana land.

MGC,
I miss the subjective phrases like "I hear" and "preferable sound" that
I've seen you use in other posts! This one comes across a bit factual
when this is a subjective matter, to my mind. However, after reading
your post I look forward to hearing a Caiman DAC at some point,
hopefully.

Cheers, Darren

--
darrenyeats