I agree that much of the allure of vinyl is that many people (me
included) prefer a warmer and more “musical” sound to an “analytical”
(and probably more accurate) sound. I believe this warm sound is
achieved by rolling off the high end, and/or by introducing even
harmonics (i.e. distortion) to the sound. As in most things, you can go
overboard on anything. I don’t like any system that attenuates the high
end, but I do have a tube preamp that introduces a modest amount of
even harmonics to the sound. I do prefer the sound of my Benchmark DAC
=> tube preamp => solid state amp to the sound of the all solid state
chain consisting of the DAC => solid state amp. So, even though I know
full well that introducing a preamp (or any extra gear) into an analog
chain will ALWAYS add noise and distortion, there are some
circumstances where I actually like the sound better.

I’m also not too distracted by a moderate amount of surface noise
(pops, crackles) of vinyl. So, that doesn’t bother me. Maybe this is
because I got into hi-fi long before CDs came along.

I think all of the above is a matter of personal preference. What I’m
curious about is what price range (if any) do you need to pay for a
turntable/cartridge that sounds better than a good digital input.

--
duke43j