andynormancx;611129 Wrote:
> That depends entirely on what you mean by "definitely hear a
> difference". As has been discussed many times here before the human
> brain is a curious thing.
>
> Logically, if one is hearing a difference but there isn't actually one,
> which can very easily happen, then there is no difference that can be
> measured.
>
> If however one is hearing a difference that really is there, then
> clearly it can be measured (the human ear is just a measuring device
> after all). Of course whatever non-human measuring device you are using
> needs to be sensitive enough, accurate enough and precise enough to
> detect the difference.
>
> The difficulty of course comes in knowing whether you are really
> hearing a difference or just think you are. No amount of us discussing
> that here is going to come up with a conclusion that everyone is going
> to remotely agree on as the "I have golden ears, my brain is
> unfoolable, double blind tests confuse my ears" and the "I can measure
> everything" camps are so diametrically opposed in their "beliefs". And
> yes, I exaggerated those descriptions for comic effect.
I wonder whether it might be helpful to consider what sort of personal
experiences can usefully be discussed and for what purpose they may
usefully be discussed. The radically idealist position (ie that
anything you may experience must be real)is beside the point. Most
people here are interested in experiences which can be shared and
repeated and which can be tied to particular hardware, software changes
or tweaks. Someone who experiences audio nirvana believing that a new
cable has been inserted into his system when it hasn't may very well
deserve our congratulations for having achieved a real state of
happiness, but his experience is unlikely to be repeatable and is
therefore not helpful.
The problem is that we all feel a bit differently every time we hear
the same track; it is actually quite difficult to separate out the
Heraclitus effect from the impact if any of changes made in the system.
This has nothing to do with the reality or otherwise of one's
experiences. It does however have everything to do with the question of
whether anyone else should be interested in listening to our account of
our experiences.

[Then of course we can move on to the interesting question of why some
folks value some people's reports of their experiences more highly than
others'.]

Anyway, when you put the question in terms of experiences which are
meaningful, the answer is IMHO obvious: any experience which based on a
repeatable difference in the properties of the sound waves reaching you
should in principle be measurable.

--
adamdea