You could laugh me out but sometimes I ask my wife about or use my cat
to determine whether my system reproduces the sound with some reality
to it or not. I play some high quality nature sounds like birds etc.
and observe reaction of the cat. It's done every time when something is
changed in the system, either wiring, or components. Placement of the
speakers doesn't matter really. Every test is conducted  while the cat
is more or less in the same state so I could "eliminate" factors
influencing her judgment. It works every time and my wife's verdict in
99% agrees with cat's.
Being very subjective I stopped believing my ears long time ago.
Nowadays I prefer to listen to the music rather than analyze frequency
spectrum of my system.

--
gizek

1st  : Transporter > Adcom GFP-750 > Citation tube monoblocks > Proac
Response D2; Cardas Neutral Reference
2nd: SB Touch > TA2020 > Fostex FE207E; Cardas Crosslink