A related phenomenon from another realm might be helpful.  Consider the
placebo effect.

It is well-established that a real placebo effect exists.  If people
believe that a treatment (drug, something else) has been administered,
they will on average report symptom alleviation above that reported by
people who do not believe they received any treatment.  True efficacy
of the treatment can only be demonstrated if the treatment effect
exceeds that of the placebo effect.  Double blind studies are one way
of dealing with the situation (everyone believes they are getting the
treatment).

The question is, do the placebo-receivers actually get better faster
than the no-treatment people, or do they simply think they get better?
Interesting question.  For the most part the placebo effect is most
obviously demonstrated in symptom alleviation, e.g. pain.  In that
case, it could reasonably be said that the placebo had a "real" effect,
in that less pain was actually experienced.  Even though no actual pain
reliever was administered.  It's an entirely psychological effect, but
the people experience it as real.  Who is to say that it's not a
worthwhile strategy?  If you're out of pain meds, give a sugar pill to
the kid and maybe he or she will actually feel better.

So, by analogy, if you make a change in your system and convince
yourself that it improves your listening experience, even if nothing
actually and demonstrably changed at a measurable level, who are we to
say you're a nutbar?  I'm referring to the generic "you" here, not to
anyone in particular.

Of course, under these circumstances, the favorable listening
experience cannot be used to support an argument that such and such a
change to a system produces better sound.  To do that, you need a more
sophisticated and reliable technique than "that's what I hear".  You
need double blind studies.  You need measurable differences.  You need
to avoid mystification and philosophizing.

R.

--
RonM