ralphpnj;614498 Wrote:
> Just a bit of an overreaching statement - these people may really care
> about music but may find that effort involved in obtaining a high
> quality audio system is just not worth the trouble or money. The loss
> is theirs not mine and so I try not to judge them too harshly. A
> similar statement can be made about movie lovers who watch videos on a
> cell phone. Does doing so make them any more or less of movie fan with
> a 100" HDTV?

Good point. I stand corrected. I was mostly referring to people who
claim that if you're into high quality audio system, you obviously
don't care about music, you only care about the equipment/gear/kit.
Which would also be an overarching statement.

In all fairness to these people, I used to know a few crackpot
audioheads who would spend obscene amounts of money on the ultra
expensive audio components only to end up listening to a few select
demo discs. That's ultimate stupidity, in anyone's book. But let's not
paint all the other audiophiles with the same broad brush.

ralphpnj;614498 Wrote:
> In today's world the above statement is somewhat true but in Rembrandt's
> time when there was no photography a painted portrait was the only means
> available for making a "copy" of something. Perhaps MC Ride should have
> used a photograph as a point of reference.
>
> With photography the Sgt. Peppers equivalent would be a highly
> Photoshopped (is "photoshop" now a verb?) picture which created a
> "reality" which never really existed.
>
> For many musicians there are two kinds of recordings:
>
> 1) A live recording of a performance
>
> and
>
> 2) A studio recording
>
> A live recording is meant to document as closely and faithfully as
> possible the actual live performance. On the other hand for most studio
> recordings there is no "live performance" (expect for those rare live in
> the studio recordings) to use as point of reference. To throw yet
> another monkey wrench into the mix, when attending these oh so
> cherished live music events, exactly which live performance is a
> recording trying to capture: the one experienced by the listener
> sitting the center of the 10th row, the one experienced by the listener
> sitting in the last row of the upper balcony or the one heard by the
> stage hand standing backstage? They are all listening to the same live
> music event and yet they are all hearing very different sounding
> events. Next you'll be telling us that only live, acoustic music is
> real music. Please spare us.

The issue with many live performances is also are we keen on
reproducing the sound that's coming out of the PA (assuming that it is
amplified performance), or are we interested in reproducing the sound
as it is coming out of the instruments themselves? For example, we
could record the drumkit by close micing, or we could record it as it
gets reproduced through the PA. So which one is it?

Same applies to vocals etc.

--
magiccarpetride