magiccarpetride;614710 Wrote:
> That is indeed a very intriguing finding, Phil. Is there a way for you
> to supply snippets of both samples (i.e. the 24/192 and the exact same
> sample dithered down to 16/44.1)?
>
> I'd love to be able to subject myself to the rigorous blind test, just
> to see if I can hear the differences. I was able to convince myself
> that I can hear the differences between the 24 bit and the 16 bit
> versions of the same song, however, as you say, the differences may be
> explained away by the differences in mastering. I myself am not certain
> that I am qualified to properly downsample high definition (24 bit)
> files.
>
> I am aware that we must respect the copyright laws, so if I'm asking
> you for two samples, I hope it would not be illegal for you to provide
> short snippets, not the entire song.

I'm convinced that the sample frequency has a much bigger effect on
perceived sound quality vs. bit rate.

I have also concluded that the bit and sample rate that sounds the best
on a particular system has to do with how it is processed. IMO, on the
Transporter, native 24/96 doesnt sound any 'better' than upsampled
native 16/44.1. I could see how dithered 24bit to 16bit would sound as
good as the native 24bit.

--
earwaxer9

System: modified Winsome Labs Mouse, modified Maggie MMG's, Transporter,
HSU sub 12, MSB DAC to 500 watt sub slave amp, JPS labs power cords,
Silver audio interconnect, Audioquest Granite speaker cable.