ralphpnj;615529 Wrote:
> Now that's more like it! I feel the same way about the high and mighty
> Facebook: as the saying goes "and this too shall pass".
>
> And to quote another old adage: you can't get the toothpaste back in
> the tube once it's out. In this case the toothpaste is a digital file
> and once it's available to even one person it will soon be available to
> just about anyone who really wants a copy. I give it about a week or two
> until copies of the HDTracks Rolling Stones files are available on some
> of the usual download sites.

OK, let's take the example posted earlier in this thread. Someone was
kind enough to point me at what looks like a pretty decent product:
Amandine Beyer & Gli Incogniti's recording of Vivaldi's "The Four
Seasons". Great stuff! But explain this to me: why is it that high
definition (24bit 96kHz) format costs $24.00, and CD quality (i.e. red
book, 16bit 44.1kHz) format costs almost half the price ($13.00)?

There cannot be a reasonable explanation for that. If anything, CD
quality format should cost more, because they had to do some additional
work in order to downsample the original 24/96 recording to fit into the
lower resolution 16/44.1. (not to mention even more laughable pricing
structure with the 320 kbps MP3 format, for which they charge $11.00 --
after going through the trouble to compress the already downsampled CD
quality format).

It's dishonest acrobatics like this one that is giving a black eye to
the vendors such as Linn Records and HDTracks etc. Their business model
is what basically boils down to selling water by the river. They have
the audacity to propose different tier pricing structure for what is
essentially the same product.

Such blatant lying is bound to force these businesses to eventually
close their shop.

--
magiccarpetride