Boy, writing that made me go back and listen to my FLAC rip of the CD.
Not quite as bad sounding as the LP - I think the quiet background and
greater dynamics of the CD help it - but it still sounds so flat and
lifeless.

I actually like the music and lyrics. But it is definitely one of those
recordings that is better listened to on crappy equipment that doesn't
reveal it's flaws so brutally.

When I bought the LP in high school I had a 15W per channel (maybe)
Kenwood solid state integrated, basic Pioneer manual turntable (with
the "S shaped" tonearm), basic Shure cartridge, and Advent II speakers
(I think that's what they were called - they were bookshelves made of
white plastic), which were an even cheaper version of "small Advents",
for those that couldn't afford them.

Even on that system it sounded sort of lacking, but good equipment like
I have now just emphasizes how bad it sounds. The negative side of
audiophilia - you find out how crappy some of your recordings are.

--
firedog

Tranquil PC fanless WHS server running SqueezeServer; SB Touch slaved to
Empirical Audio Pace Car; MF V DAC3, MF X-150 amp, Devore Gibbon Super 8
Speakers; Dual 506 + Ortofon 20 (occasional use); sometimes use PC with
M-Audio 192 as digital source. SB Boom in second room. Arcam CD82 which
I don't use anymore, even though it's a very good player.