Wombat;617124 Wrote:
> To add something to this discussion. A while back we had a german
> boulevard TV doing some evaluation about the Strativari phenomen. A
> respected violin builder did build a Strativari clone out of wood and
> another manufacturer even created a Strativari clone out of carbon and
> fiberglass, mimiking the technical measurable specialities of the
> original.
> 3! Approved violin experts even weren´t able to distinguish these 2
> totally different designs when listening blind. They all admitted the
> Strativari by nature sounds extremely fine but obviously so do other
> designs.

+1
This is the critical point. Similar experiments have been carried out
on many occasions with similar results. The Stradivarius has been
bandied around as the acme of mystical object which science can't
explain. It turns out that there is a good reason why science can't
explain the mysterious property Stradivarii have of sounding different
from any modern violin: they (probably) don't.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stradivarius

--
adamdea