Daverz;620077 Wrote:
> From the description it sounds like the wire is being used as a low-pass
> filter.
>
> Instead of moving to more and more exotic wire, why not move to
> monoblock amps and then shorter and shorter lengths of low AWG standard
> copper wire (8 gauge, say).

Good call Darren.  Often the wire IS being used as a low pass filter,
but I suspect you already knew that.    It's been going on for
years...use a cable with a ton of capacitance, and you're guaranteed to
have smoothness untold.

All audiophiles want freq. responses out to visible light, but actually
seem to prefer a rolled off top end.   I think B&W did some studies
awhile back that proved this scientifically.

As for the monoblock thing...I did this 20 years ago with OTL tube
amps, electrostatic speakers (Martin Logan) and <1ft of garbage wire.
About 16ga.    Clearly better than the best speaker cable available at
that time, suggesting to me that it's not the wire...it's the length
(or more likely the resistance of the wire) that made the difference.

--
Curt962

Transporter...Touch....Boom......