Phil Leigh;621921 Wrote:
> ALL EQ/DRC involves some element of gain reduction - it's necessary to
> avoid clipping when boosting and happens whether you like it or not
> when cutting.
>
> Level attenuation in the digital domain is not a problem if done
> properly (ie in 24 or 32 bit) - and not excessively. After all it has
> already happened on all the CD's you bought and it didn't ruin their
> sound...

It doesn´t have to happen but it can happen. Besides in this case it is
for the good cause and like volume attenuation it could possibly done at
the 24 or 32 bit resolution.

As for digital level attenuation, it can be done  so there are no
hearable loss. However in the context where we use SB and SBS for xover
and still keep the main architecture intact, the level attenuation is
done in the SB, having, so in 24 bit. That gives a whole 12 dB to work
with untl we start to have impact on 16 bit recordings. Since we´re
discussing speakers without passive xover, we can also assume the
speakers are easy to drive. let´s say 95db/w (simplified since one have
more than one "speaker" in reality).

Even with moderate amplifiers, let´s say 64 W per amp channel, the
listening volume would still be very very loud when you have used up
all your window of 12 dB without resolution losses, everything at lower
volume lever than that 101 dB will quickly start using bits lower than
the bits over 16.

So in conlcusion digital volume control when using 24 bit will in
reality affect the resolution so it can be heared unless one add extra
attenutaion, have very weak amps or speakers that are hard to drive.

--
johann