If I'm understanding this thread correctly- proposed is the idea of
doing a software crossover and then independently amplifying the
results?  Sound promising.

I switched from a mono-amped Linn setup to a active bi-amped some years
ago.  I have two amplifiers which are modded with hardware cards
specific to the particular model of speaker I have.  Each amp drives
one of the types of speaker cones in the speaker.  It works great, and
is different as well as better than the mono-amped system.

What the software version would be missing, it seems, is the correct
and precise crossover profile that is matched exactly to each physical
speaker cone in the speaker (as Linn can do since it's all a matched
system)

--
dizzysnakepilot