At a recent show we heard (amongst many other interesting things) a
single driver omni type speaker with tube amps playing from a reel to
reel machine. Funky, myself and my two companions liked it. But we are
audio geeks I suppose.

The guy mentioned that they preferred the reel to reel of the same (80s
pop) music to the digital version. I said, okay we'll come back and try
a head to head later!

So we did. Same track, via a £13.5k DAC (!) and the reel to reel. All
of us preferred the reel to reel! The digital had spitty vocals and the
drums were less catchy.

Afterwards we found the reel to reel was a recording of the same
digital file via a much cheaper DAC. This is another experience
supporting my belief that digital doesn't have any less musical
information than analogue (in fact the opposite). However, it's just
less comfortable hearing accuracy in certain set ups.
Darren

--
darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.