On 03/04/11 18:09, darrenyeats wrote:
> So we did. Same track, via a £13.5k DAC (!) and the reel to reel. All
> of us preferred the reel to reel! The digital had spitty vocals and the
> drums were less catchy.
>
> Afterwards we found the reel to reel was a recording of the same
> digital file via a much cheaper DAC. This is another experience
> supporting my belief that digital doesn't have any less musical
> information than analogue (in fact the opposite). However, it's just
> less comfortable hearing accuracy in certain set ups.

Indeed. Recording to, and playing back from tape is essentially
processing the signal, eg. rolling off (very) highs, slight compression
perhaps. Perhaps as digital filter that does the same thing would be a
good idea? :)

R.
--
"Feed that ego and you starve the soul" - Colonel J.D. Wilkes
http://www.theshackshakers.com/