snottmonster;624176 Wrote:
> I think the key difference with a NAS is that you get the option to
> easily expand the capacity, and there is protection against disk
> failure - something vortexbox doesn't appear to offer. (Someone please
> correct me if I'm wrong)

You have the same disk protection with a NAS as you do with Vortexbox:
NONE unless you backup your data to a different disk and remove it to a
different location. A RAID setup (NAS) is NOT a backup. It can possibly
make data available again instantly when that is important (e.g.,
banking data if you're the bank). But bad things can happen that kill
all the disks in your NAS at the same time (power spike, fire, theft,
etc.).

A frequent refrain on the ReadyNas forums from the ReadyNAS Jedi
(experts) is "RAID is NOT a backup...backup your data!"

And you can expand the data storage with vortexbox too. I have 6TB of
storage on my vortexbox.  I think either can work, but if you're
interested in saving some bucks, almost any low powered, netbook can
run SbS just fine, have as much or more power than a NAS, and you can
connect all the USB drives with data that you want. And you can do all
this cheaper than a vortebox appliance or readynas.  For example, check
out a fitPC2i. A powerful computer, no fan, and the size of a paperback
book.

--
garym