Kevin Haskins;633574 Wrote:
> The SS drivers are generally excellent.
>
> Just an FYI though.   How the final design will sound depends more on
> the system design work (box, crossover) rather than the quality of the
> drivers.    I tell people this every day and they ignore me.  ;-)
>
> I can take average drivers and make a loudspeaker that is really very
> decent.   The better drivers will buy you more output, lower distortion
> and sometimes some unique application flexibility but they will not
> sound better unless the rest of the design is done right.

This is correct a good example is My own Meridian speakers they use the
quite mundane classic seas 6,5" pp drivers for bass and midrange, this
driver sounds good ,I had it before in for example a pair smaller Thiel
speakers I owned in the 90's 1,2 ? or what was it, but it is not super
expensive (I also had that driver in a pair of Opus3 speakers).
But implementation is miles apart, The Meridian speakers uses 2 of them
in 2,5 way active digital crossover design and is also digitally crossed
over to my subwofer at 50Hz . My old Thiels was a passive first order
filter bass reflex design, this really put high demands on the
drivers.

"same" driver is probably a an oversimplification as these can be
ordered in different configurations if you are a speaker manufacturer
you may want a slightly different fs or some TS parameter different
than the off the shelf unit etc. (that is the interesting thing with
auditechnology drivers as they offer these flexunits so that even diy
people can have a customized application specific drivers)

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad