stop-spinning;636534 Wrote:
> So, in summary, a Netbook running J. River media software using a remote
> control J River UI from a phone, shut the netbook lid to keep things
> tidy on the shelf (it'll still work) - start the music from your phone
> - with the netbook connected to an async DAC, should work out well and
> should (in theory) sound better than an SB Touch.
>
> Going furher on from this I read that people dumb down their computers
> to minimise the processing overheads (no anti-virus etc) so as to not
> cause fluctuations in the sound quality. I will probably tweak the
> computer (in my case netbook) to see if this really does help. But I
> would make this easy on myself and create a snapshot of a fully running
> system first - then snapshot the dumbed down configuration - and flick
> between snapshots in case I actually want to pick up the netbook and
> use it as a computer. All good fun I guess....

There is no theory that says this will sound better. Simply using any
old async USB DAC does not guarantee success - nor is the USB interface
intrinsically superior to s/pdif or toslink. It's ALL down to specific
implementation details.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.