esbrewer;639192 Wrote:
> I guess the last paragraph here gets to the core of my question - how do
> all of these advancements manifest in the quality of the sound produced
> by a modern monitor? Let's assume companies like PSB, Paradigm and
> Dynaudio do significant R&D and use new technologies to improve and
> refine their designs.  Does this effort result in subtle improvements -
> or something more significant?  Care to elaborate on a modern design
> that you might expect to perform poorly on site?

Very few companies do real research... most are doing a form of
"marketing R&D".   I'll avoid calling out any "bad" designs but I'd be
happy to point towards "good" ones.

Paradigm and PSB both do good work.   If you wanted an active monitor,
and there is a lot to gain in a good active design, I'd recommend
Genelec.

Whether newer designs are worth an "upgrade" depends on too many
variables.   You may have a good loudspeaker from 20 years ago that is
respectable.   Whether a marginal improvement in the design is worth a
$700 upgrade depends on your pocketbook and what you have now compared
to what you would buy, both of which could be all over the map in terms
of sound quality.

--
Kevin Haskins